Serena Williams withdraws from 2011 Australian Open

>> Thursday, November 25, 2010

Serena Williams, former world #1 tennis player and winner of 13 Grand Slam trophies, will not be defending her Australian Open title on January 2011. The American legend withdrew from the 2011 Australian Open due to a foot injury that also kept her from participating in any tournaments after she won her 13th Grand Slam title in Wimbledon last July.

Tournament director Craig Tiley released a statement Thursday saying Williams had withdrawn from the Hopman Cup international mixed teams competition in Perth and the Australian Open in January. The Australian Open website contains the following quote from Serena:

“As I continue to rehabilitate my foot after the second surgery last month, it is with the utmost regret that I am withdrawing from the Hopman Cup and the 2011 Australian Open Championships. As I recently learned, pushing myself back into my intense training too early only caused me further injury and damage. While I desperately want to be back on the court and competing in the first Grand Slam tournament of the year, it is imperative for my health that I continue to work with my doctors to ensure my foot heals properly. This decision, though heavy on my heart, is the right one. I am praying for a healthy recovery and I promise my Aussie fans and my fans around the world that I will be back better than ever as soon as I can be.”

Williams has won the Australian Open five times, including a win over rival Justine Henin in the 2010 final. She currently holds the most number of Grand Slam titles amongst active players, and she is currently #1 in career prize money not just in tennis but amongst all women athletes. She's currently ranked #4 in women's tennis despite playing just 6 tournaments in 2010.

Serena Williams - Australian Open Performance History
Match W/L record: 51-6

2010 Australian Open - WINNER
2009 Australian Open - WINNER
2008 Australian Open - QUARTERFINALS
2007 Australian Open - WINNER
2006 Australian Open - 3RD ROUND
2005 Australian Open - WINNER
2004 Australian Open - DID NOT PLAY
2003 Australian Open - WINNER
2002 Australian Open - DID NOT PLAY
2001 Australian Open - QUARTERFINALS
2000 Australian Open - 4TH ROUND
1999 Australian Open - 3RD ROUND
1998 Australian Open - 2ND ROUND

0 comments:

Post a Comment