Serena turns 92K Fine into a 92K Mission

>> Wednesday, December 9, 2009

In a blog post titled "To Be Honest, I Believe I Reached My Boiling Point" published at globalgrind.com, Serena Williams shared her honest and only thoughts so far on the fine the Grand Slam Committee of the ITF (International Tennis Federation) imposed on her. She started by saying she was fined $92,000 thousand dollars (not just $82K) for her US Open semifinal outburst. She reiterated how bad and miserable she felt on how she behaved. She stepped back and in a rather revealing manner, she walked through the emotions and thoughts she had at the time of her outburst.

Serena also deplored how other male players in similar situations weren't given the same penalty as she was. She cited several examples. Near the end, she said that she didn't "mind being fined. If I did wrong I accept the repercussions. All I ask for is to be treated equal".

At the end of her post, Serena said that her request to donate some of the 92K fine to different schools and programs she was involved in was denied. As a response, Serena revealed that she would be raising $92K to donate to a second school that she will be opening in Africa and also to different schools in the United States. The following note was posted Wednesday, Dec 9 at serenawilliams.com, her official website:

"Hey Guys,

How are you all? I hope that all is well. I want to raise $92,000, to match what I am being fined from the ITF (international tennis federation) and donate it to some of my many philanthropic endeavors. The ITF denied my request to use some of the monies toward a charity of my choice- so I decided to match what I was FINED by raising money for the Serena Williams Foundation, my second Secondary school that will be opening in Africa soon, other charities & schools.

I will not only be raising money but I will be donating as well. I have started to gather personal clothes to give away as well as things that I have worn during tournaments to auction off. Dresses I wore a various Wimbledon's, US Opens, French Opens, Australian Opens, and more will be auctioned off and 100% of proceeds will go to my charity until we reach our 92K mission!!

As you know, I am an advocate for education. I will be donating money to schools in California, and Florida Education, and learning is key & this experience has educated me beyond belief so I would also like to take this opportunity to educate Women about what I have learned from this experience. It does not matter if you are an athlete, student, teacher, attorney or a police officer, we as women should not be treated as less than equal. It is our right as HUMANS to be treated equal no matter race, color, or gender. I will start this mission by donating clothes to women Shelters throughout California. My first mission is to donate clothes to Liberty Social Services of San Diego County. I am asking that you all help me reach this goal in turning 92K into a great MISSION of Empowerment for Education & Woman!

There will be more information coming soon on how you all can help me reach my 92K MISSION!!!

Xxxx,

S.
"

As a tennis fan, I feel for Serena. Her outburst was probably one of the most reported tennis news during the whole year - maybe more than some of her accomplishments. But, kudos to her for responding positively. I've read this wise saying from somewhere - if you lose, don't lose the lesson. I wish Serena well on her 92K mission. It's really hard to put a good woman down.

0 comments:

Post a Comment