An Exciting Time to Blog on Tennis

>> Sunday, November 1, 2009

I’ve always cherished the idea of writing about tennis. Not that I’m a tennis expert – my tennis skills are so-so at best. I’m just one regular tennis fan; who happens to be into blogging as well. On a normal day, I would relax by reading tennis news. I probably spend 10 to 30 minutes each day following the updates on both the ATP and WTA tours. On a bi-weekly basis, I take time to read the columns of tennis experts. I also stumble on some blogs from tennis fans like me, so I thought of starting a tennis blog.

The 2009 year is almost about to close - yet another exciting one for tennis. It was a year of highs (Federer breaking Sampras record, Clijsters comeback, etc… ) and lows (Serena’s meltdown, Nadal’s injury) both on and off the court. Still, it was a very exciting one, and as a tennis fan for the past 20 years now, I’m sure there are plenty of tennis memories in store in the next months and years.

2010 looks very promising. In the men’s side, the expected continuing dominance of Federer and Nadal is being challenged by younger and faster players in the likes of Djokovic, Murray, and Del Potro. Have we seen the best of Nadal? How many more majors will Federer win? Will the UK (you-key) have a homegrown champion at Wimbledon? Will a couple of young Americans make their mark? (Haven't given up on Donald, and am waiting for the emergence of the older brother of the tennis playing prodigies based in Florida.)

The women’s side is as dramatic as ever. How far can the aging Williams sisters go? What impact will the un-retirement of Henin and Clijsters have? Will Sharapova continue on her Tokyo revival? How will Safina fare in 2010? Which young star will emerge to join Wozniacki and Oudin as headliners? Will Ivanovic join Vaidisova in the talented-has-beens category?

And so, this blog will be my tennis journal. It is a record of how I perceive the happenings in tennis – not from behind the actual tennis courts, but right behind my desktop.

0 comments:

Post a Comment